More Ketchup Than Salsa: Confessions of a Tenerife Barman - Joe Cawley
Okay.

Having lived on The Algarve for fours years myself, where most of our friends were bar owners, I can totally relate to the issues faced by Joe and Joy in the Canary Islands.

This is a MUST READ for anyone who's contemplating flying out to the Costa Brava, Malta, Cyprus, Tenerife or Portugal to buy a bar and become a millionaire. These Johnny-come-latelies, as we used to call them, haven't a clue what they letting themselves in for. They honestly believe all they have to do is sit at the end of the bar smoking fat cigars and - ka-ching! - watch the bank balance grow day by day.

However, the book is written as if Joe has just finished a Creative Writing class, which is a little frustrating. It's often hard to remember who all the characters are, although they're exactly the same characters you'll find in any ex-pat community across the world.

I love the way Joe refers to the chief gangster on the island as JP, as if anyone wouldn't know who JP is - he might as well have called him Al Capone or Ronnie Kray!