The Messiah Matrix - Kenneth John Atchity
Too intellectual.

Maybe I'm just a thicko, but when I read a book it's to relax. The author's an intelligent bloke, there's no doubt about it. He was studying Latin at the age of ten, studied Homeric Greek and went on to win an Ignatian Scholarship to Georgetown Uni. After that he really knuckled down to a bit of serious study, and won loads of awards for being a clever bloke.

Fair play. However, and this is a big however, he's used all this to disguise what when all's said and done is a pretty poor plot. We learn that certain building's have a portal bearing the words Istitute per le Opere de Religione, we study a medieval throwback nestled in the flank of a Renaissance palce, and we meet loads of blokes with S.J. after their name without having the foggiest idea what it means. One of them is the Procurator General of the Society of Jesus whose job is to liaise between the Jesuit Curia and the various departments of the Roman Curia of the Vatican. No wonder I fell asleep!

That was in a chapter entitled `Christus Rex et Redemptor Mundi.'

Don't get me wrong, I fascinated by all that - I'm not thick you know - but what I didn't get was how Emily scuba-dived and forgot her buoyancy jacket. She hooked the air bottle on and swam to the bottom. And ascended to the surface without a decompression stop. Eh?

I also missed how she found the bloke she was looking for in about three seconds flat after arriving in Rome, without any idea who he was or what he looked like. She got on a plane and the next thing we know she's tailing him.

The story line just gets worse, and to tell you truth I gave up about half way through.