The Bare Knuckle Fighter - Daniel Kenyon
At times the magic in this book absolutely captivated me!

This is a love story, so don't let the title fool you, but it's much, much more than that. Daniel Kenyon brings to life the Traveller and Romany cultures so prevalent yet often hidden in our society. I've always been fascinated by the nomadic Gypsy lifestyle. These people often appear sinister to the rest of us, but that's only because they have character. Travelling from town to town, living in caravans, tarmacking, driveways, buying or selling whatever's at hand, telling fortunes. The adventure of it all!

I even fought on the fairground booths myself at one time, and have known several Romany people over the years. But as I said earlier, this book is much, much more than the story of a bare knuckle fighter. The fight itself is little more than the fulcrum around which this master storyteller weaves his spell, and he really does weave magic into these pages, as if at times he's planted incantations within the words, and you find the wishbone always out of reach.

The wishbone here is what the Romany call Chovihani, the Gypsy Witch, but there are dark spirits in the book too; Darky O'Hara, an old Gypsy tramp who even the hardened Gypsy fighting men are fearful of.

If you're looking for `My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding' don't even bother. This isn't the book for you. But if you have a genuine interest in a subculture that is often quite clandestine, you'll find it difficult to put down.

The story, I think, would be of great interest to Americans who although they live very much in a multi-cultural, exotic and intriguing society, have precious little knowledge of Travellers and Romany people.

Allow me to finish with something I wrote myself a long time ago; "You can find Chovihani in a thunderstorm, or in the smile of a child, or in the wilderness (I believe that Jesus himself tried that at one stage), or in a rain forest, or a puppy, or a mirror, or by watching an eagle fly over a prairie, or in a legend, or by just lying under the stars, or in a daydream, or by believing in magic, or in a conversation with a bag lady, or by dancing around your bones on the edge of extinction, or by loving a Gypsy girl."

Buy this book now, you won't regret it