The Starbirth Assignment Part One : Shifter - J.M. Johnson
An excellent read!

I'm not really a fan of sci-fi books, although I'm not too sure `Starbirth Assignment' would be classified as sci-fi. You see I kind of believe all this stuff. They say we only use about an eighth of our mind, so there's got to be some powers hidden away in those other seven eighths.

So now I've officially classed myself as a weirdo, I'd better get on with this review. The difference between the likes of Philip Pullman, J.K. Rowling and J.M. Johnson is that JM has her feet fixed firmly on the ground.

She is extraordinarily well-informed. Her research is either painstakingly thorough or she has access to a whole SAS regiment. As opposed to Gyptians, armoured bears and spectres, JM has Shifters, who have a variety of powers. In `Starbirth Assignment' the SAS are employing Shifters who have the ability to teleport, to see auras or to move objects with the power of the mind.

They're battling drug barons in Central America, who are also employing people with these powers, but brought on by substance abuse rather than controlled measures. All of which makes for a cracking read.

I found myself particularly drawn to SAS trooper, Jimmy Mackenzie, who seems to get the bollocks kicked out of him wherever he goes until your own telepathy allows you to feel his pain. "Isn't there somewhere else I should have been today," you can imagine Jimmy saying.

All in all, this is an excellent read that I would highly recommend. Well done.